5/12/2009

Advice

I debated on doing this post, simply because I don't like talking about this stuff. But, I need advice. I need a good birth control while I'm nursing. I only nursed Lexi for two months and didn't have to go through this with her. I'm on the mini-pill right now because my insurance only covers pills and shots. Well, it's working contraceptive-wise, but I'm bleeding all month long. Granted, it's light and only heavy during my regular cycle time, but who wants to bleed all the time?? Not me.

So, all my girlfriends, what has worked for you? My body doesn't go crazy on hormones, and I'm usually just fine with the birth control pill while I'm not nursing. So, my body's not too sensitive.

Any suggestions?

6 comments:

  1. Same thing happened to me on the mini-pill. I bled all month long. I have the Mirena IUD and I've really liked it so far. I bled the first month, but now I hardly bleed at all. My period is practically non-existent. Wow, that's a lot of personal info- I hope not too many people read these comments!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sensitive to the hormones of the pill and the mini pill. After Coby, I opted for the Copper T IUD, which has no hormones. My cycle is same as prior to any birth control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Mirena IUD, and if I remember correctly, you can breastfeed when you have it. It is awesome. It is a little spendy up front, but it last for 5 years and you would pay more in co-pays for the pill in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to copper IUD before getting pregnant with sissy. I loved the fact that it didn't have any hormones, but when I had my period I literally bleed out every month. I never left the house during that week. After sis is born we are going to try the Mirena IUD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cousin Lauri here....Just a WARNING~ I was on the mini pill AND using condoms with it and I am now 6 months pregnate! The mini pill is only something like 83 percent effective!
    I thought there was NO way we could get pregnate again but here we are.... Be careful!
    My sister swears by the mirena iud too...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Listen to Laurie and don't trust that pill. We Proffitt girls are super fertile and don't need contraception that is only 83 percent effective. I love my copper IUD. I've used one since I had Mitchell 8 years ago. Except when I have it removed for a surgery. Then I get pregnant no matter what else I use. (Bren and Abigail). FYI- I tried the Mirena and gained 10 pounds in 2 weeks. But I am sensitive to hormones and you aren't so it may not be an issue for you. Also, some people have a hard time getting pregnant after the mirena. It can take up to a year or longer. With the copper IUD you can get pregnant the next day. I should know;)

    ReplyDelete