7/16/2009

Sleep training

So, we have stopped swaddling Laney, and we are no longer letting her take naps in the swing. Because of these two things, we have to retrain her how to sleep. She is doing fabulously at night (She goes to bed at 7 and wakes up at 5 to eat), but she's having a hard time during the day. Lately she's waking up every 25 minutes or so, and I go in and give her her paci. Well, now I'm trying to train her to console herself, which requires her to cry it out.

Today, this is the conversation I had with Lexi when she heard Laney crying:

Lexi: Waney's cwying. Is she hungwy?
Cassie: No, she's tired. She needs to sleep.
Lexi: Go help her, Mommy.
Cassie: I can't, honey. She needs to cry it out.
Lexi: But, Mommy, Waney's cwying.
Cassie: Yes, I know. She needs to cry it out.
Lexi: But Waney wants her Mommy. She's sad.
Cassie: I know, but I can't go help her. She needs to help herself.
Lexi: (Just looks at me like I'm the meanest person in the world). Well, I go help her.
Cassie: Sorry, hon. She needs to cry.
Lexi: (Again, gives me such a heartbreaking look) Otay, Mommy.

So, I'm feeling bad for making Laney cry. But it's the only way Lexi learned, and Lexi's a great sleeper now. It's just hard to hear sweet babies cry.

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there. It's not fun that's for sure, but hopefully it will all be worth it in the end. :) We need to get together for a playdate!

    ReplyDelete