5/09/2011

Burned peanuts smell like cigarettes

I'm recording this story for posterity's sake, and because it's kind of hilarious. You can skip it and scroll down if you want a good pregnancy tip...

Brandon bought some raw peanuts for us to boil on Mother's Day because he knows I love them, and it would be a good mother's day snack for the both of us.

The plan was to start the water boiling before church, come back and check on them, and then they'd be ready to eat after church. Peanuts take 3-4 hours to boil, in case you didn't know. So, by the end of church, Brandon realized he completely forgot about the peanuts and didn't get home to check on them and add more water.

I get home to fire alarms going off, and the house FILLED with smoke. Thank heavens there was no fire at least. I forced the girls to stay on the porch while I covered my face and tried to get in the house and open windows. Holy moley. There was a LOT of smoke. I opened all the windows, turned on all the fans, turned OFF the stove, with the charred peanuts, and waited for the smoke to at least thin so that our house was liveable.

Those poor peanuts. All the water had evaporated and the peanuts just got killed in the heat. And almost killed our house with it.

Well, the rest of the day was spent trying to get the smell out of our house. Fans, febreze, candles, spray, etc. You name it, we did it. The smoke had permeated every inch of our house, including our closet with all our clothes. We discovered something else- once the smell died down to at least not choking us, it smelled like cigarettes. Great.

I went to stake choir practice, where I apologized to everyone that I smelled like cigarettes, and that all the music folders smelled too. I tried changing my clothes, but since our closet smelled just as bad as the rest of the house, all my clothes smelled terrible too.

Do you know how embarrassing it is to be a pregnant woman that smells like smoke? I feel like someone will call the police on me at any moment. I almost felt unworthy working out at the gym this morning. I was imagining people turning away from me in disgust. It didn't happen of course, but I felt like telling everyone I came in contact with that it wasn't me, it was my house. You think I'm exaggerating? Ask anyone who's come over to our house yesterday and today. They will confirm that our house smells like a 90-year-old smoker's house. And that THEY smell like it too from being in our house 5 minutes.

It is all very funny, I guess. We will probably be working on this smell for the next week or two. Good thing the weather's nice and we can open our windows. Oh wait. IT'S 45 DEGREES AND RAINING.

On to other news, I wanted to share my favorite pregnancy hand-me-down of all time:

The Bella Band.


It's meant to go over your unbuttoned jeans or to provide more length to your shirts. I love it! My sister gave me a black one and a white one after her last pregnancy, and I use them all the time. They make me feel held-in a little more. They are made out of spandex, I believe, so they are nice and tight, but they stretch to your body and belly. They stay in place a lot better than just long tank tops. I tend to only use them in my second trimester, when I'm not huge yet and I'm still trying to fit in all my regular clothes. They are pricier than the generic brand, but they are worth it, in my opinion. Go here if you're interested. The link gives the price at 26 bucks.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. I Lived in my bella band. It rocked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband has done the same exact thing...... TODAY!! Please help!! How long did it take for the smoke smell to leave?? My eyes are burning!! Any suggestions??

    ReplyDelete