5/13/2011

Lazy days and ballet recitals

On Thursdays, I tend to skip the gym and stay home with the girls. There's usually only one reason- singing time. My girls love singing time, and it's a little too hard for me to go to the gym and get back in time to shower and get ready before it starts at 11. So, I usually use it as an excuse to stay home and have a lazy morning.

The girls are so funny when we don't have anywhere to go first thing in the morning. Lanie keeps bringing me her shoes saying 'go, go,' and this particular morning Lexi wanted to play Fashion Solitaire next to Daddy who was studying scriptures. (Yes, Brandon studies scriptures on his computer. It helps him to write while he studies. And the resourses online are AWESOME.)

I thought it was cute. :)

This week was kind of crazy. Lexi had her first ballet recital. But this isn't just any ballet recital. This is the ballet recital on drugs. The studio does an end-of-year recital that includes all levels and classes. Lexi had a whole week of rehearsals, and they gave me a whole list of things Lexi needed to have done for dress reahearsals and performances.

First, the bun. Lexi's hair is pretty short, and she needed it in a bun on the top of her head. Let's just says I used a LOT of MEGA hold gel. And mini bobby pins.

Then, there's the make up. On a four year old. She needed base, powder, brown and white eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, blush, and lipstick. The whole shebang. She was SOOO patient and was so excited to wear makeup. I have to say, she has really long eyelashes that look pretty awesome with mascara on. You can't really see in the pictures, but oh well.

The recital/concert started at 7:30. That's already 1/2 hour past Lexi's bedtime. I prepped her and told her she might feel really tired, but to try and do her best. She did great! I will post a video after this post. Here's our photo after her concert. Of course we had to give her a rose... And she only wears her costume on stage. They take it off right after.


It was already 9pm, but she was so happy about her rose and recital that we took her to ice cream. Boy, was she excited. Her dream come true. She chose some ice cream and we talked and ate.
Mid-bite...

It was so cute. Though I still think it was a bit ridiculous to have all these guidelines and makeup rules for a 4 year old, it was really fun to see her first little dance recital.

Her bun did pretty well, if I do say so myself. Here's how it looked at the end of the night... They also made her wear a hair net.


Overall, it was a really fun night. Tyler, Brandon's brother was so nice to come over and watch Lanie so we didn't have to worry about her during the concert.


All this being said, I think I'm going to take her out of ballet next year. Next year's focus I think will be music. I'm gonna teach her piano. I figure I take each year and give her another option, and by the time she's 8 maybe she'll know what she wants to do. :) This summer she's also doing T-ball. And dance is EXPENSIVE. And ballet dancers are WAY too skinny. There was this one girl that performed, and I whispered to Brandon, "That is EXACTLY what I DON'T want Lexi to look like. Or to feel pressured to look like." The end. I'm off my soapbox. :)



Of course, I won't stop her if dance is REALLY what she wants to do when she's 8. I just won't LOVE her choice. Apparently I use CAPS a lot...


SORRY IF YOU THINK I'M YELLING. :)


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am amazed that all that makeup was REQUIRED! Where does she take ballet? She looks so cute though, and those eyelashes! I'm jealous of how long they are! I took Mya out of dance after she had a 4 HOUR LONG recital. We had invited grandparents and friends and I was soooo embarrassed by how long it was. They didn't require makeup at hers, but Mya was the only one without makeup on.

    I also totally agree with you about how skinny the ballerinas are and not wanting your daughter to feel that pressure.

    ReplyDelete