5/08/2012

San Diego, part 3- epiphanies

This is kind of a strange post, but as I was at the beach one day, I was reminded of the following quote from Susan Easton Black. Forgive me, it's paraphrased: "Small people talk about people. Bigger people talk about events. And the biggest people talk about ideas."


These ladies parked next to me at the beach one day, and since they were loud, I was privvy to their conversations. They're older, probably in their 60's. And amidst their talking about cruises, Florida, etc., they would talk... about people. They would make fun of neighbors, cuss about children and spouses, complain about exes, say that they hate so-and-so. It made me sad to think that they've lived a whole life and they are still just talking about... people. I don't want to be like that. I want to grow wiser with each year and talk about ideas. I don't want to make myself small and talk about other people.

It also made me happy to come back from a recent retreat with some girlfriends and realize after the fact that our conversations never revolved around people. If they did, it was always positive. We talked about events and ideas. And that made me feel lucky to have the friends I have. The end. I'm getting off my soapbox...


The other definitely less-serious epiphany is that these babies are awesome. The Sea Salt Caramel is my fave. There was a Ghirardelli store a few blocks from the hotel and Hubbie bought me a huge bag for my birthday. I'm salivating just thinking about it...
 
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment