8/10/2010

Hyrum's great great grandson

I have to tell you about the coolest, most memorable experience I had last week. Brandon's old boss from BYU, Jim, invited us to go to Salt Lake with him. You know those people you want to be like when you grow up, and you can actually call them friends? Jim's one of those people for me. He wanted to take us up to the home of Eldred G. Smith, the great great grandson of Hyrum Smith. He was also the last general patriarch of the church, until they made that a stake calling. He's given over 10,000 patriarchal blessings. Can you imagine??

Anyway, we went to his home, and the first thing you notice is the spirit. It's almost tangible. They also have all these sculptures in their living room- all smaller models of those in Temple Square- of Joseph and Hyrum, Joseph reading the bible, the pioneers crossing the plains, etc. It was so interesting to hear Elder Smith and his wife explain all the paintings and sculptures.

They also showed us a lap-desk that most likely stored the gold plates, a stool that belonged to Lucy Mack Smith, and a dinner bell that belonged to Emma. All very interesting, especially to see the craftsmanship involved. Then came the incredible part- we saw the clothes that Hyrum Smith was wearing when he was martyred. So humbling and so spiritual. We saw the bullet holes in the pants- one on his knee, one through his back that went through his vest and pants, one on his shin. The blood on his shirt because of the bullet that hit his face. It is hard to describe the feelings as I saw these things. It puts you in the time period- in the place where Joseph and Hyrum lived, it helps you picture it all. It was also really cool to see how well-made the clothes were. I know that sounds dumb, but the care that went into making their clothes is pretty astonishing. The women in that time period were pretty incredible.

Did I mention that Elder Smith is 103 years old?! Wow. He's doing pretty well for someone that age. He told us all about the clothes, and they also showed us Hyrum's pocket watch that a bullet hit in his vest. And his old sunglasses. I didn't feel right taking any pictures, so sorry this post is so text-oriented.

I just wanna say it again. Wow. Wow, wow, wow. It was such an amazing experience.

Then we went to Crown Burger in Salt Lake. Dang good burgers. This is the picture you get when you ask two men who are eating to smile for the camera. Brandon's trying to smile and eat at the same time, and Jim's trying to scare me away. They're very serious about their burgers.

Thanks, Jeem. That was awesome.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. WOW!! how awesome!! I cant imagine-- what a neat experience. you are very lucky! thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cassie that sounds so cool! I am so happy that you shared with us. I was just remembering when I had a sprained ankle and my husband was in the hospital and Brandon - who was my home teacher's brother - came and picked me up to go get something from home. How nice! Thank him again for me. I think I re-remember that with you guys often, but it just crossed my conciousness again. You have such a cute family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Cassie, how awesome! And love the table and chairs, they look great!

    ReplyDelete