4/30/2009

Feeding

Both of my girls are exactly the same when it comes to feeding: They are high maintenance. When Lexi was little, I bottle-fed her. Breastfeeding was not easy for me, and I gave up after two months. Anyway, when I fed her, the formula had to be just the right temperature. Not too cold, not too hot. And I couldn't talk. Not. one. word. If I did, Lexi would start crying and freak out until I was dead quiet.

Well, it's the same with Laney. She's breastfeeding, so the milk is always the right temperature, but she hates it when I talk or when Lexi talks to me while I'm feeding her. Do you see the problem? It's impossible to be quiet when there's a toddler in the house. Lexi always comes up and talks to me. I try to schedule her feedings while Lexi's napping so she can have her quiet time, but that's only once a day. I still have the morning and evening where Laney just doesn't eat well because Lexi comes up to tell me about her dolly or her kitchen set.

Oh well. What's a girl to do? Any suggestions?

5 comments:

  1. Most of the time I turn a show on for Kennedy, sit her in front of the tv and go back into my room to feed Cameron (or lay him down for his nap). I'm sure there's lots of people who would disagree, but there's a lot of shows now that are so educational so I don't let myself feel bad about it. She's learned not to come back to my room when I'm trying to put him down, and best of all it helps me keep my Sanity! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand how you feel with wanting to keep it silent to please the baby. However, I regret big time what i have done to Katleyn regarding her sleeping. IT HAS TO BE SILENT OR SHE WILL WAKE UP!
    I always told myself that i would do normal house chores while Katelyn napped cause I didn't want her to get use to the silence. Now I am freaking cause when the baby comes is will not be silent anymore.

    I know it's going to be hard, but my suggestions is to make it comfortable for the baby, but don't stress to much. If the baby is really hungry she will eat no matter the circumstances.

    That's just my too cents. I realize how emotional & tiring it is when you are trying to schedule around a newborn, & I don't know if I'm ready to handle it w/ now a toddler close by.

    But just think of long term. Realistically is this something that you are really going to want to deal with, or do you want to teach the baby that "this" is how it's going to be and be the "BOSS".

    Good luck! & Let me know how it turns out:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have one of those too! Abigail, the queen, not only refuses to take a bottle, but refuses to nurse unless it is dark and quiet. Nobody is allowed to talk at all while she is nursing. So sometimes she doesn't get a good meal. If someone happens to be in the Mother's lounge, she doesn't eat at church. If Brenley has something pressing to say to me, she doesn't get a good meal. What can you do? If she is hungry enough, she'll eat. She won't starve. So far, eating has not been as important to our little queenie as getting her own way. Someday that may change. Or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turn on the tv for Lex, give her a snack, take Laney in her room and lock the door! Ha! (I did this a lot ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. And then of course when you come out praise Lexi a ton and give her special attention, just the two of you if possible, for being so good.

    ReplyDelete